BENEFITS OF STRETCHING
Stretching has numerous benefits and should become part of your daily exercise routine. Stretches can be done at home, don’t require equipment, and are simple, effective tools for keeping the body supple, flexible and less prone to injury.
- Stretching has many beneficial effects, some of which are:
- Increased flexibility
- Improved range of motion
- Increased muscle relaxation
- Increased circulation
- Reduction in muscle resistance and injury
LOW BACK STRETCH
We all suffer from low back pain/stiffness from time to time, due to poor posture, poor footwear choices, incorrect lifting techniques and lifestyle activity choices. Often back stiffness and back ache can be relieved by simple stretching, like the stretch listed below. Try this stretch for general low back ache and stiffness. If the stretch causes pain, do not continue. If the back pain increases in intensity, does not subside in a few days or becomes sharp and restricts movement, always see an appropriate heath care professional for further advice and consultation. A suitable choice in practitioner would be a Bowen Therapist, Massage Therapist, Osteopath, Chiropractor, Acupuncturist or Physiotherapist. If your back pain is the direct result of an accident or fall and there is any swelling, bruising or restricted movement, please see your doctor for further advice.
- Lie on your back on the floor or on a mat
- Hold the tops of your shins with your hands and bring both knees in towards your body
- Pull your knees in closer pulling them down towards your body slowly and gently until you feel a stretch in your lower back
- Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times
Come and visit Sam to get your body back on track! Green Valley Bowen Therapy